Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Maiden Voyage to the Kitchen

Before I got married I cooked now and then, but never long enough to master the intricacies of Sri Lankan curries. I could of course follow a recipe book to the letter, but that was as far as my culinary talent stretched.

Then I got married and got into serious cooking. My mom-in-law wasn't impressed with my fumbling efforts. My husband took pity on me and gently pushed me to try out some of the recipes from a Thai cook book I had in my possession. My mom-in-law tsked and sniffed and started cooking her own dinner (which broke my heart), but this helped me get familiar around the kitchen and the use of the many spices and condiments.

As time went by I ventured into more Thai food and to Indian curries to Malaysian food and timidly back to Sri Lankan - I really, really wanted to impress my husband with my own culinary skills. As I slowly made my way back to Sri Lankan food, I noticed that all these food, may it be Thai, Indian, Malaysian or Sri Lankan, used more or less the same condiments and all can be quite cumbersome to cook. Yet, Sri Lankan food remains unknown whilst the other cuisines have become the culinary fashion.

This piqued me and I wanted the world to know how great an Asian food Sri Lankan food is. This led me to create http://www.bojoon.com/ and 4 years later, http://www.bojoon.com/ has evolved to be the most informative food and drink web-portal in Sri Lanka. Partnering with food experts, http://www.bojoon.com/ brings free recipes, tips on cooking, cooking classes with top chefs, culinary history and so much more.

The more popular http://www.bojoon.com/ gets the more I get noted as an authority on Sri Lankan food - though I've only chipped the tip of the ice burg for Sri Lankan food is so fascinating and revolves around so many customs, traditions, ceremonies and is heavily based on the ancient alternate medicine, auyrvedhic principles.

Does my mom-in-law like my cooking now? Not at all! When invited for dinner she pointedly asks who cooked what and been the perverse devil I am, I'd point to all the dishes that my husband cooked and pass them off as mine and all what I cooked as his and watch with wicked satisfaction as she eats the food she thinks her son has made with relish!!!

No comments: